WELCOME TO WIDCO
THE WOMEN INITIATIVE DEVELOPMENT COOPERATIVE ORGANIZATION (WIDCO) IS A GROUND-BREAKING ORGANIZATION CREATED TO ASSIST THE DEVELOPMENT OF WOMEN’S INITIATIVES IN THE DEVELOPING WORLD.
WIDCO was established in the 1990’s and is based in Cameroon, Africa – where women struggle to achieve basic human rights and decision-making power taken for granted in Western societies – WIDCO, provides support for non-governmental, international organizations who wish to work toward empowering African women.
The intense poverty that permeates much of Africa is a huge debilitating factor at both the personal and political levels. Economic growth will alleviate the multitude of problems associated with poverty. To promote economic growth, WIDCO seeks to develop practical strategies to promote women’s equality and empowerment. Cameroon’s women’s full potential has yet to be harnessed and incorporated.
WIDCO’s (Women Initiative Development Cooperative Organization) primary mission is to build and support grassroots organizations in Cameroon that Empower Women through Micro-Finance Schemes, Education & Training, Addressing Cultural practices & Women’s Rights, Leadership & Management Development, Community Development, and Politics & Human Rights.
The vision of WIDCO spans through a short and long term period. Ultimately, WIDCO wishes to become a model in Cameroon on issues of women empowerment and NGO management. WIDCO wishes to see: all traditional rulers of the grassfield region of Cameroon embrace women as inseparable partners in both cultural and socio-economic development of their tribes and villages.
Facilitating research and disseminating key concepts of national and international economic and social welfare regarding all women, information which can lead to productive policy and social change.
The WIDCO concept has two distinct aspects: (1) philanthropic services to the target community and (2) economic development and business promotion.
WIDCO, through its philanthropic activites seeks to help women so that Africa can begin to save itself from poverty and eventually be a viable participant in the global economy and society. We raise money facilitate charitable programs and more.
The economic empowerment structures of WIDCO are used to execute the concept of social, cultural and political empowerment of the women through leadership seminars and workshops and interventions.
WHAT WE DO
Sensitizes and creates awareness in the community by helping to build and support grassroot organizations in Cameroon that Empower Women.
Organizes economic, social and cultural groups with female leadership with the aim of improving the leadership skills of women.
Collaborates and undertakes activities with related associations and organizations created to promote better health and social welfare of the targeted community.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Support and intitiate Micro-Finance Schemes, Education and Training that address cultural practices & Women’s Rights.
Work with cooperative movements and existing legislation in Cameroon under a shared initiative to fight against poverty and for gender equality.
Undertakes all legally acceptable activities geared toward more active participation of women in civil society.
OVERVIEW OF PROJECTS
WIDCO’s projects are being developed community by community in Cameroon (targeted communities) with the hope to eventually implement WIDCO’s visions and projects at the national level, with broad scale cooperation.
- General Community Education Project (GCE): Geared toward sensitizing the rural community to develop joint ventures in economic activities to create an atmosphere of shared information and consciousness about the community’s needs. Objectives include mobilizing assistance from publishing companies to help supply books and further resources.
- Micro-Financing Investment Scheme: Various WIDCO affiliates are being mobilized to raise capital and have opened accounts in credit unions to assist economic development.
- Management Information System (MIS) and Multimedia Information Centers: With assistance from the Canadian Executive Service (CESO) WIDCO has developed a Management Information System, WIDCO is beginning to establish incorporate an internet service with office accommodations and computer systems for various communities.
- Agro-Promotion Project: Setting up a transport system where food can be ferried from farms to homes for storage and eventually for marketing.
- Agro-Input Marketing: Thus far, more than 100 tons of fertilizer have been supplied to WIDCO members.
- Forest and Environment: WIDCO is involved in a bio-fuel project with a German company for the purpose of planting stems of the Jatropha, a plant used in extracting combustible oil for lamps and locomotives.
- Health: WIDCO is collecting information to fight against HIV/AIDS by promoting curative as well as preventative actions. It is working towards mobilizing assistance in acquiring free medication to infected persons.
- Community Development and Rural Infrastructure: Since 2002, WIDCO has been engaged in building necessary roads from rural farmlands to community centers.
- Commerce and Building Promotion: Promotion of joint venture economic activities between the members and affiliates of WIDCO.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US